Medical Sickness Certificates

Medical Certificates

We no longer keep a supply of self certificate forms in the surgery. You can download a copy of the form here sc2.pdf or request one from your employer.  This form should be used for periods of absence up to 7 days.

 If you require a doctors fitnote (formerly sickness certificate) following a period of absence greater than 7 days please contact the surgery.

 Please note a change to health board procedures states that where the absence has been initiated by a hospital doctor, either as an inpatient or outpatient, it is the hospitals responsibility to issue the fitnote.  Please get in touch with the appropriate department

The first seven days  

For the first SEVEN days of illness or injury (including Sundays), you do not need to provide your employer with a doctor's medical certificate (sick note). However, you do need a 'self-certification form' to provide evidence of your inability to work. If you are employed you will need a form SC2 which is available from your employer or you can now click the link below and print off a copy, if you are unemployed or self-employed form SC1 is required.

A certificate is not required for the first THREE DAYS of illness or injury.

Should your employer require a certificate from a doctor for this duration there may be a fee.

After seven days

Should your illness or injury extend to beyond seven days you will need a doctor's certificate.

If you are absent from work for seven days or more you will require a certificate. Please phone reception to request this. We will need to know the reason for your absence, date of onset and how long you think you are likely to remain unfit for work.

If you have been in hospital a sickness certificate should have been issued by the hospital (please make sure that you ask for a sickness certificate whilst you are in hospital). If for any reason this has not been the case please contact the relevant doctor or department who has recommended your absence.  Please note it is now the responsibility of both the in patient and outpatient departments to issue the certificate.

NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website